Pacific West Systems, Inc. provides on-site hands-on certified railcar mover safety training that is customized to each clients needs. Insurance companies require that all railcar mover operators are trained. When we design a training program we consider the facility, yard, equipment, and operator experience. We train new and experienced operators on the correct operation of their existing rail car mover or newly acquired equipment.
We cover all the basic operational information and address commonly asked questions. Is there a difference between moving loaded or empty rail cars? What is the safest practice for stopping rail cars? How do we navigate curves in the rail? How does track conditions, rain, snow, sleet affect the operation?
All of these questions and much more is covered in our 4-6 hour class room and hands-on training, Each group will have approximately 1 hour class room training with video presentation and test along with our extensive one-on-one hands-on ground training. We give each operator the opportunity to demonstrate their ability to properly operate the rail car mover and the opportunity to be a grounds person.
The instructor was extremely knowledgeable and very precise. My employees learned a lot even though many of them already had a lot of experience on the Trackmobile.
Our Customized Approach
All of our programs feature on-site, customized safety training that is unique to your facility, equipment, operation and rail requirements. Railcar mover safety training is provided for operators who are moving empty, partial or full railcars. Our instructors have one-on-one interaction with each student and always make time to discuss site-specific scenarios.
We have trained thousands of operators throughout North America. Our goal is to make sure that every operator considers safety above all else. This helps to reduce the possibility of costly accidents and helps cultivate a culture of safety. We want to insure that you never have a railcar mover derail, cap-size, run-away with railcars attached, collide into other objects or even loss of limb or life due to improper operation. With our training we:
- Teach operators the fundamentals of weight transfer (when applicable)
- Educate operators to properly use the airbrake system to stop
- Teach how to use tractive effort and drawbar pull to successfully move railcars.
- Train operators how to manage coupler slack
- Instruct operators how to properly communication with grounds person
- Train operators the proper use of a remote control (when applicable)
- Teach operators to effectively use sand to increase friction and traction.
Our World Class Trainers
- Each trainer has more than 20 years in the rail car business
- Each trainer has technical expertise to assess the condition of your rail car mover and point out potential mechanical issue(s)
- Our trainers are fun and passionate about rail car movers and people
Additional Topics Covered
- Understanding and Using the Inspection Checklist
- Standard Railcar Mover Operations and Limitations
- Review, assess and determine the quantity of full and empty railcars that can be moved safely
- Effects of Weather and Temperature on Railcar Mover Operation
- Assessing of Grade and Track Curves on the Railcar Mover Operation
- Rail Track and Bed Condition
- Teach operators how to safely get on and off the rail
- Rail Switch types and Condition
- Weight Transfer or Draw Bar Pull Calculations
- Railcar Weight Distribution
- Shock Loading
- Securing Rail Cars
Pacific West Systems operator safety training is available for all major brands of railcar movers. We will work with your team to ensure that each operator certified is confident, knowledgeable and can operate the railcar mover safely.
- Rail King™
- Shuttle Wagon™